THREE COURSE WINTER WARMER RECIPE
Three Course Winter Warmer Dinner
French Onion soup, roasted sweet potato and black bean chilli and finishing with a traditional and delicious pumpkin pie.
There is nothing we love more than cooking as a family during autumn. When the season begins to change, the leaves start to turn gold, auburn and brown and we start to spend more time wrapped up warm in front of the fire, food is one comforting and satisfying way to keep those cold and dark days at bay. Make our hearty three course winter warmer dinner this weekend and keep your family’s energy levels high.
French Onion Soup
Serves a family of four
You will need:
- 50g butter
- 3 litres of beef stock
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Dry white wine
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 onions finely diced
- 140g of Gruyère or another type of cheese finely grated
- 2 tbsp of plain flour
- In a large pan, melt the butter and add the finely diced onions. Gently fry with the lid on for approximately 10 minutes or until golden and soft.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and cook for a further 20 mins, stirring frequently until the onions are caramelised.
- Add 3 gloves of chopped garlic and sprinkle in the flour and stir.
- Increase the heat and gradually add the white wine.
- Add the beef stock and cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour soup into bowls and sprinkle over a good helping of the cheese.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chilli
Serves a hungry family of four
You will need:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- 2 tins of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of frozen sweetcorn
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic diced
- 6 litres of vegetable stock
- 5 tbsp of chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- Sour cream & avocado (topping)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7.
- Place the sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven until tender, making sure to flip them over half way through. (approx. 25-30 mins)
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add the onions. Sauté for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the red pepper and sauté for 2 mins.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 2 mins more.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, tomatoes and sweetcorn.
- Add the chilli powder, cumin and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add the black beans and simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes and gently stir.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped avocado.
You will need:
- A freshly bought pumpkin
- 1 tin of condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of pumpkin spice or cinnamon & ginger
- 1 ready-made pie crust
- 9 inch pie crust tin
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7
- Spray the pie tin with the cooking spray
- Lay the ready-made pie crust across the pie dish
- Cut the pumpkin in half lengthwise and discard seeds. Place one side down in a microwave-safe dish. Add 1 inch of water and cover. Microwave on high for 15-20 minutes or until very tender.
- When cool, drain the pumpkin pulp and scoop out.
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin pulp, eggs, milk and spices until smooth and creamy.
- Pour mixture into the ready-made pie crust and bake for 15 mins.
- Put a thin piece of tin foil around the edges of the pie crust to protect them from getting crispy or burnt.
- Bake for a further 40 minutes.
- To test whether it’s done, take a knife and stick it into the centre of the pie. If the knife comes out clean the pie is done. If not, continue to cook for a further 5 minutes and repeat the process.