Top 5 Pancake Day Ideas!
It’s that time of year once again – Pancake Day! Families are sure to be cooking up a storm in the kitchen this year flipping pancakes; hopefully not too many pancakes will end up on the ceiling. We love Pancake Day at TJ Hughes and have come up with our top 5 favourite recipes, from sweet to savoury there is something for everyone in the family!
100g Plain Flour
300ml Semi-skimmed milk (or milk substitute)
2 Medium eggs
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt
- Sift 100g of plain flour into a large mixing bowl, add 2 mediums eggs, 300ml milk, 1 ½ tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt into the bowl and then whisk into a smooth batter.
- Leave the batter to stand for 30 minutes to rest (if you have time).
- Set a medium sized fry or crepe pan over a medium heat and carefully brush the pan with oil.
- When the pan is heated carefully add the batter, tipping gently so it lightly covers the base of the pan. Cook your pancake for 1 minute on each side until golden.
- Serve with a topping of your choice.
The Traditional Topping
Lemon and sugar is such a simple traditional pancake topping yet is still so yet effective, you can’t go wrong! All you need is a slice of lemon and a sprinkle of caster sugar. Quick, simple and absolutely delicious.
For the Chocoholic
One word… Nutella! For the chocoholic of the family can it get any better than chocolate on pancakes? Whether it is Nutella or a chocolate spread of your choice, why not add some fresh fruits if you feel like going the extra mile.
The Savoury Pancake
If you prefer your pancakes a little more savoury, then this recipe is just what you need. Add some smoked salmon and scrambled eggs to your pancakes; serve with ground black pepper to make them extra tasty.
The Sweeter the better
You can’t go wrong with pancakes drenched in sweet and sticky maple syrup! Add some blueberries or fresh fruit of your choice to ensure every bite is perfection.
Pancakes and Ice cream
The perfect balance of hot and cold, pancakes and ice cream are every kids dream! Chocolate, strawberry and vanilla the options are endless.